Grilled Pizza Primavera
- Yield 4 servings
Cooking pizza on the grill gives is a smoky flavor and crisp texture.
To save time, use pre-shredded and mixed cheese combinations.
- Pizza Crust:
- Pizza dough ball for 1 pizza crust, at room temperature
- Olive oil or vegetable oil, for spraying
- Pizza Toppings:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup quartered canned artichoke hearts
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Italian cheese mixture or mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red chili flakes
- To make crust: Roll or press dough into a 12 or 16-inch circle. Spray lightly with olive or vegetable oil and allow dough to sit 10 minutes while you preheat grill.
- To make toppings: Heat oil in a large saute pan and add garlic, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Saute over high heat 2 minutes. Add oregano and spinach leaves; toss to combine. Set aside.
- After preheating grill to high heat, place pizza dough oiled side down on grill and cook, covered, 3 to 7 minutes until lightly browned. Keep watching to make sure the temperature is not too high as all grills are different. Spray top with oil and flip pizza over. Cover and grill other side 4 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from grill to a plate. Top with sauce, cheese and sauteed vegetables.
- Lay basil leaves over vegetables and sprinkle with chili flakes. Return to grill, reduce heat to medium and cook 3 to 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Note: You can use other toppings such as:
Grilled sweet corn cut from the cob and cooked black beans with cheddar and jack cheese.
Vegetarian pepperoni (available in most supermarkets and natural food stores) and portobello mushrooms.
Broccoli and caramelized garlic cloves with ricotta cheese.
Grilled eggplant and provolone cheese.
Sun-dried tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.