Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Yield 20 servings
Grilling pineapple gives the fruit a lovely hint of smoke, while lime balances the sweet and jalapeño packs a spicy punch.
Serve this summertime salsa atop your favorite bean burgers, salads and tacos.
- 1/2 -- ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced 1-inch thick
- 2 to 4 -- jalapeños, depending on spice preference
- -- Olive oil, to grill the pineapples and jalapeños
- 1 -- mango, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 2 -- green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 or 3 dashes hot sauce
- -- Salt and pepper
- Spray pineapple slices and jalapeños with a little oil. Grill on a gas grill or grill pan over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side, or until pineapples and jalapeños are charred slightly and set aside to cool slightly. Dice the jalapeños and pineapple slices after they cool and place in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the diced mango, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, honey and olive oil. Add mango mixture to the charred, diced pineapples and jalapeños. Season with a few dashes of hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe by Donna of Fab Frugal Food.