Grilled Peppers and Lentil Salad
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground fennel seeds
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Lightly coat bell pepper pieces with cooking spray. Place bell pepper pieces, skin sides down, on grill rack; grill 12 minutes or until skins are blackened. Place bell pepper pieces in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes; peel and chop bell peppers. Discard skins. Sprinkle with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Place bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain lentils; place in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 3 inches above lentils; add onion and bay leaf to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Drain lentils. Discard onion halves and bay leaf. Add lentils to bell peppers. Add remaining 5⁄8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, tomato, and remaining ingredients to lentil mixture; stir well.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Cooking Light Way to Cook Grilling: The Complete Visual Guide to Healthy Grilling by Cooking Light (Oxmoor House).