Grilled Pepperoni Olive Calzones
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound prepared pizza dough
- 1cup sliced California Black Ripe Olives, divided
- 3/4cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2cup grated Italian cheese blend
- 1ounce sliced pepperoni, chopped
- Knead 1/3 cup of olives into pizza dough. Cut into four 4 ounce pieces and form into balls. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- While dough is resting, combine remaining olives, ricotta cheese, spinach, Italian cheese blend and pepperoni in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 7- to 8-inch disc on a lightly floured surface. Scoop one heaping 1/2 cup of filling mixture onto one half of each disc. Brush edges of crust with water, then fold empty half of dough over filling. Pinch edges of crust together to enclose in the shape of a half moon. Place on a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat (450F), cover and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook on remaining side for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Recipe courtesy of the California Olive Committee