Grilled Pepper Jack Burgers
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Southwestern-style burgers make any grilled repast a sizzling summer standout.
This recipe works really well with turkey burgers, too.
- 1 pound ground beef, shaped into 4 burgers
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
- 4 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, or 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup finely snipped fresh chives
- Finely grated rind and juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare the salsa, combine all salsa ingredients in a large bowl.
- Prepare the grill.
- Place burgers, onions, cheese and buns on a baking sheet. Brush onions and cut sides of buns with oil. Season beef and onions with salt and pepper. Grill beef and onions, turning once, until burgers are cooked through and onions are tender. Grill buns until golden brown. Place a burger on each bun, top with cheese, onion and salsa. Serve with remaining salsa.
Recipe by Karen Adler and Judiuth Fertig, a.k.a the Barbecue Queens.