Grilled Orange-Vanilla Pound Cake with Strawberries
- Yield 1 Loaf pieces
Grill slices of this delicately flavored pound cake in butter and top with the season's best strawberries for a knock-out dessert.
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 4 1/4 x 10-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. You don’t preheat your oven.
- Toss the orange zest in a small bowl with your sugar, and rub it together with your fingers so the oil from the zest will help perfume the sugar.
- Pour the orange sugar in a mixing bowl, and beat it with the softened butter until it’s light yellow and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute each—this will help make the cake airy and light, so don’t rush this step.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and pinch of salt, and add half of this to the mixture. Now, add half of the crème fraîche or sour cream. Add the second half of the flour mixture, then the second half of the crème fraîche or sour cream, mixing well between each. Finally, add the vanilla. Pour the batter into your loaf pan and turn the oven to 325F. Bake for an 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a rack before lifting the cake out of the pan.
- To serve the cake, first, gently mix strawberries with the sugar and the lemon zest and set aside. Cut pound cake into thick, 1-inch slices, and melt some butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. When the butter sizzles, add cake and cook until it’s brown and crispy on each side. Add a spoonful of strawberries and dig in. I like this for dessert as well as for breakfast, and afternoon coffee time, too.
Recipes from Cowgirl Chef by Ellise Pierce (Running Press, May 2012.)