Grilled Mushroom and Garlic Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Grilled mushrooms and garlic are tossed with fresh greens and tomatoes in this delicious dinner salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 pound (about 6 cups) white button mushrooms, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups watercress leaves, arugula or spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomato halves or diced tomatoes
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Separate garlic head into cloves; if large, cut cloves in half; peel. Fill a small saucepan with 3 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes, drain.
- In a large bowl toss mushrooms and garlic with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- To grill, place mushrooms and garlic in a grill basket or on skewers, or to broil place on broiler pan rack. Grill or broil as close to the heat as possible until mushrooms are tender, and golden turning occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the vinegar, mustard, salt and black pepper. Add mushrooms and garlic, watercress and tomatoes; toss to coat; serve immediately.