Grilled Leg of Lamb
- Yield: 16 servings
- 2/3cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 4-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1tablespoon salt (preferable kosher)
- 2teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2teaspoons coriander
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 1teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-- (6-pound) butterflied leg of lamb or 1 (9-pound) bone-in leg of lamb
- Combine the mint, olive oil, garlic salt, cumin, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper and lemon juice in a bowl. Let the marinade stand for 15 minutes. Place the lamb in a baking dish. Pour the marinade over the lamb, coating evenly. Cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator until ready to grill.
- Prepare a charcoal grill for indirect cooking with hot coals on 1 side of the grill. Remove the lamb from the marinade; discard the marinade. Place the lamb on the grill but not over the coals. Grill, coverred, for 45 to 60 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 145F for rare. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with mint jelly if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Evansville’s Once Upon a Time (the Junior League of Evansville, Indiana 2003).