Grilled Lamb Burger Pitas with Tzatziki Sauce
- Yield 5 servings
This sandwich, made with ground rather than rotisserie lamb, is a make-at-home version of the classic Greek gyro. The tzatziki sauce is also great served on its own as a dip with pita chips.
- Tzatziki sauce:
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Turkish or Greek seasoning
- 1 medium onion, but into 1/4-inch slices
- -- Olive oil
- 5 whole pitas, halved
- 3 medium tomatoes, thickly sliced and halved
For the sauce:
- Pat the cucumbers dry and set aside.
- Combine the remaining sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the cucumbers and chill.
For the burgers:
- Heat the grill to medium-high
- Combine the lamb, Worcestershire and seasoning in a medium bowl. Form into mini burgers about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, making about 20 burgers.
- Lightly brush both sides of the onion slices with olive oil. Grill the burgers and onion slices for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Fill each pita half with 2 mini lamb burgers, grilled onions, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Houston, Inc., Peace Meals, a Book of Recipes for Cooking and Connecting (The Junior League of Houston, Inc., 2008)