Grilled Green Tomato “Sandwiches” with Herbed Cream Cheese
- Yield: servings
- Herbed Cream Cheese:
- 1package (8-ounce) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 4large green tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) sliced 3/4 inch thick (to make 12 slices)
- olive oil, for brushing
- 2teaspoons Seasoning Salt or kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill. Place a well-oiled perforated grill rack over direct heat. In a bowl, blend the cream cheese, garlic, basil, and chives together until smooth. Set aside.
- Brush the tomato slices with olive oil on both sides and season with seasoning salt and pepper. Place the slices on a baking sheet and bring out to the grill with a bowl of Herbed Cream Cheese and a knife for spreading.
- Grill all of the tomatoes on one side for about 3 minutes with the lid open, then flip and grill on the ohter side for 3 minutes more, or until the tomatoes have good grill marks.
- Remove the tomato slices from the grill and allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet. Spread Herbed Cream Cheese on half of the slices, top with a second slice, and set the sandwiches on a platter. Serve the sandwiches hot, with oozing cream cheese filling.
Variation: Grill all of the tomato slices as above and top each grilled tomato with a dollop of the cream cheese and serve open-faced.
Reprinted with permission from Karen Adler and Judith Fertig’s The Gardener and the Grill (Running Press, 2011).