Grilled Green Tomato “Sandwiches” with Herbed Cream Cheese
- Yield servings
If you like fried green tomatoes, you'll love them grilled. There is no breading and very little oil, but plenty of tangy flavor. You can make the sandwiches by spreading the creamy filling between two grilled tomato slices or you can serve a platter of the grilled tomatoes with grilled bread and the Herbed Cream Cheese on the side.
- Herbed Cream Cheese:
- 1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 4 large green tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) sliced 3/4 inch thick (to make 12 slices)
- olive oil, for brushing
- 2 teaspoons Seasoning Salt or kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill. Place a well-oiled perforated grill rack over direct heat. In a bowl, blend the cream cheese, garlic, basil, and chives together until smooth. Set aside.
- Brush the tomato slices with olive oil on both sides and season with seasoning salt and pepper. Place the slices on a baking sheet and bring out to the grill with a bowl of Herbed Cream Cheese and a knife for spreading.
- Grill all of the tomatoes on one side for about 3 minutes with the lid open, then flip and grill on the ohter side for 3 minutes more, or until the tomatoes have good grill marks.
- Remove the tomato slices from the grill and allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet. Spread Herbed Cream Cheese on half of the slices, top with a second slice, and set the sandwiches on a platter. Serve the sandwiches hot, with oozing cream cheese filling.
Variation: Grill all of the tomato slices as above and top each grilled tomato with a dollop of the cream cheese and serve open-faced.
Reprinted with permission from Karen Adler and Judith Fertig’s The Gardener and the Grill (Running Press, 2011).