Grilled Garden Vegetables with Caesar Romaine Lettuce
- Yield: servings
- -- Zucchini, yellow squash, supersweet onion, red bell peppers, olives
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley
- -- Minced garlic
- -- Black pepper, to taste
- -- Hearts of romaine lettuce
- -- Country blend olives, finely chopped
- -- Ceasar dressing
- -- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Cut the vegetables into “coins” ¾-inch thick. (This will keep them from falling through the grill grate.) Combine with the herbs, garlic and black pepper and oil in a large bowl. Don’t add the salt—that draws water out of the vegetables and makes them soggy. We want crispy. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Heat the grill to very hot. Cut the lettuce into halves lengthwise. Pack olives between the lettuce leaves.
- Arrange the vegetables on the grill, reserving the marinade. Salt the vegetables. Grill until grill marks appear–don’t overcook them. Remove to a baking sheet.
- Dip the romaine halves into the marinade left in the bowl. Set it on the hot grill. It cooks very fast—remove it when grill marks appear.
- Arrange the grilled romaine around the edge of a nice serving platter. Drizzle with a little Caesar dressing. Arrange the grilled vegetables in the center. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese and voila! You’ll be the hit of the party.