Grilled Flatbread Pizza with Asparagus Pesto
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1pound grilled asparagus
- 1/2cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus chopped for garnish
- 2-- garlic cloves, chopped
- 2tablespoons pine nuts
- 3/4cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- -- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2cup plus 4 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano
- 1pound fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1large prepared pizza shell
- Heat grill to high .
- Combine the asparagus, basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times to coarsely chop. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and process until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the pesto to a bowl. Stir in the Pecorino Romano.
- Place pizza shell on the grill. Grill until slightly crisp, about 1 minute. Remove the shells and spread each with the pesto. Top with the fontina, return to the grill, close the cover and continue cooking until the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the grill and sprinkle with the remaining Romano cheese and chopped fresh basil. Slice each flatbread into bite-sized pieces.