Grilled Eggplant, Tomato and Fresh Mozzarella Sub Sandwiches
- Yield 4 servings
Here’s a vegetarian sandwich that will appeal to even die-hard meat-eaters.
- Marinated Eggplant:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 -- clove garlic, minced
- 1 large eggplant with peel on, sliced 1/2-inch thick lengthwise
- Sub Sandwich Filling:
- 1 large Italian or French bread loaf
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 6 to 8 -- basil leaves
- -- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- -- Red wine vinegar, for drizzling
- To make eggplant: Combine oil, vinegar, seasoning and garlic in a large zip-seal bag. Add eggplant, seal bag and toss to coat. Let marinate at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat broiler to high or a gas or charcoal grill. If broiling, place eggplant slices on a broiler pan. Broil or grill 7 to 9 minutes per side.
- To make sandwiches: Cut bread lengthwise but not all the way through; open bread loaf like a book. Arrange eggplant slices over entire surface of bread. Arrange alternating slices of tomato and mozzarella over eggplant. Place basil leaves over top; drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Close sandwich and press lightly before serving. Cut into 4 sections.