Grilled Eggplant Pita Sandwiches
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
East meets...East? Middle-eastern pita and eggplant sandwiches get a little dress-up from some Far-eastern flavors.
If desired, salt eggplant slices and let stand for ten minutes, then rinse them off with cold water and pat dry before preparing the recipe. This helps draw some of the more astringent compounds out of them.
- 3 -- 1/2-pound eggplants, trimmed, peeled if desired
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach or torn mixed greens
- 6 -- 6-inch pitas, warmed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Prepare grill.
- Slice eggplants crosswise into 1/2-inch discs.
- Stir together vinegar and soy sauce. Divide mixture between two small bowls. In one bowl, add peanut butter; stir well. In second bowl, stir in ginger, peanut oil and crushed red pepper, if using.
- Brush ginger mixture on both sides of eggplant slices.
- Grill over medium heat until just softened and slightly charred, about 5 minutes per side, brushing occasionally with ginger mixture.
- Layer eggplant and spinach over each pita. Add cilantro and peanuts. Drizzle with peanut butter mixture.
Recipe by David Feder.