Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
- 1 eggplant
- 1 cup tomato sauce (use about 2-3 tbsp sauce per sandwich)
- 6 to 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 6 to 8 whole-wheat buns
- Peel the eggplant, and slice it thickly (think a little over a half an inch thick). Season with salt and pepper.
- With the grill on medium-high heat, grill the eggplant for a few minutes until softened, with grill lines. Flip over, top with the mozzarella, and move to a cooler side of the grill with the lid shut to finish cooking and melt the cheese. The eggplant takes about 10 to 15 minutes to cook completely. During the last couple minutes throw the tomatoes and buns on the grill.
- Plop each eggplant slice on a bun, add a healthy spoonful of sauce, top with tomato slice.
Recipe courtesy of Lauren Zietsman, a Long Island physical therapist who blogs about “making healthy a lifestyle and not a diet plan.” To view more recipes, visit Lauren’s blog at A Full Measure of Happiness.