Grilled Dove Breasts
- Yield 6 servings
A eelicious and creative way to serve up dove.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried oregano
- 3 to 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 whole dove breasts, cleaned and boned
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, cut into 24 small pieces
- 3 -- fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced into 24 strips
- 12 slices bacon
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, cilantro, oregano, garlic, marjoram, thyme and cumin.
- Place dove breasts in a plastic bag and pour marinade over. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning bag occasionally to distribute marinade.
- Drain dove breasts.
- Cut a pocket in the meaty part of each breast half and tuck a piece of cheese and a strip of jalapeno pepper into each pocket.
- Wrap a bacon slice around each breast; secure with a toothpick.
- Place dove breasts on grill and cook, uncovered, directly over medium coals for 10-15 minutes or until dove is tender and bacon is well cooked.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Columbus’ A Southern Collection Then and Now (The Junior League of Columbus, Georgia, Inc., 1994).