Grilled Corn on the Cob with Piquant Sauce
- Yield 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ears corn, husked
- Piquant Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed or finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, from about 1/2 lime
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Prepare the corn: In a small bowl, whisk together the corn oil, chili powder, and salt. Rub the corn all over with the mixture. Wrap the corn in aluminum foil and grill it, turning often with tongs, for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and finish grilling right on the grates, about 5 minutes. Or peel back the husks, remove the silk, season the corn, then pull the husks back over the kernels before grilling for a nice smoky flavor.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a medium-size bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients. Slather the grilled corn with the mayonnaise mixture and serve at once.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Grilling Vegan Style: 125 Fired-Up recipes to Turn Every Bite into a Backyard BBQ by John Schlimm, Da Capo Press, 2012.