Grilled Corn and Bacon Chowder
- Yield 6 servings
Grill some corn on the cob and make extra for this creamy corn chowder the next night.
To make the grilled corn, preheat the grill. Shuck ears fresh corn and place on grill. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, turning until corn has dark, carmelized spots.
- Chowder ingredients:
- 6 ears corn, grilled and cooled
- 4 cups water
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimento
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Using a sharp knife, stand each ear of grilled corn upright and cut off kernels. Reserve kernels (about 4 1/2 cups) in a bowl and set aside. Cut cobs in half crosswise and place in a heavy saucepan. Cover with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Saute bacon in a Dutch oven until browned. Add onion, and garlic; cook 10 minutes. Add flour; stir well. Cook 1 minute. Add corn stock; whisk well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add corn, pimentos, half-and-half, salt, pepper and thyme; heat through. Serves 6.
Recipe by Deborah Krasner.