Grilled Chicken with Under the Tuscan Sun Marinade
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 20 mins
The zippy citrus marinade says sunshine and summer, while lots of garlic and olive oil evoke Italy.
Use the dark green, flat-leaf Italian parsley with its more intense, less sweet flavor.
- -- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 oranges
- -- Juice of 3 lemons
- -- Juice of 1 lime
- 5 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley (leaves only)
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- Combine orange rind and juice, lemon and lime juices, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes in a medium nonreactive bowl. Mix well. Whisk in olive oil and stir in herbs. Makes 2 1/4 cups.
- To prepare chicken, rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add 1 3/4 cups marinade, reserving remaining marinade. Seal and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Prepare the grill.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place, bone-side down, on grill grate over indirect medium heat. Cover and grill until meat reaches 170F, or meat is no longer pink and juices run clear, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from grill and let rest 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with reserved marinade.
Recipe adapted from Soaked, Slathered and Seasoned, by Elizabeth Karmel (Wiley, 2009).