Grilled Chicken with Strawberry-Pineapple Salsa
- Yield 4 servings
Grilled pineapple and fresh strawberries combine with tangy lemon in this healthful salsa for low-fat grilled chicken.
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, each 1/2-inch thick, patted dry
- 1 cup whole strawberries (about 5 ounces), diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium lemon
- 4 -- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 2 teaspoons salt-free steak seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Brush a grill pan or grill rack with the oil. Heat the grill pan or rack on the grill for about 2 minutes, or until hot. Grill the pineapple for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly, about 2 minutes, before chopping.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining salsa ingredients except the lemon. Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest, reserving the lemon. Stir the zest and chopped pineapple into the strawberry mixture. Set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the seasoning blend and salt. Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to plates. Squeeze the reserved lemon over the chicken. Serve with the salsa on the side.