Grilled Chicken and Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (4 ounce) jar chopped pimento peppers, drained
- 2tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1large kosher dill pickle spear, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2ounces cream cheese, room temperature, crumbled
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 (1-inch thick) slices country style sourdough bread loaf
- 3cups cooked, chopped chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dill pickle spears, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine pimento peppers, mustard, pickle, and mayonnaise; mix to combine. Add in cheddar, Monterey Jack, and cream cheese; mix until well combined. Use 2 tablespoons butter (total) to brush on the tops of the bread slices. Turn 4 of the slices over (butter-side down). Top with 1/2 of the cheese mixture, chicken, pinch salt, pinch pepper, the remaining 1/2 of the cheese mixture, and a slice of bread (butter-side up). This will yield 4 sandwiches.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add 2 sandwiches, With a flat metal spatula press down firmly on sandwiches in skillet; cook for 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Flip sandwiches and cook on other side, pressing down with spatula, for another 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove sandwiches, add another tablespoon of butter to skillet, and repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches. (Of course, you can alternately use two separate skillets to cook all of the sandwiches at the same time).
- Slice sandwiches on the diagonal. Slice the halves in half. Garnish with pickles.