Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Ham and Pear and Arugula
- Yield 18 pieces
The flavor and texture combinations marry well with the melted blue cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 -- (1/2-inch-thick) slices bread
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/2 -- pear, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Black Forest ham, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 ounces Saga blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 bunch arugula or watercress, stems removed
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread. Arrange two of the bread slices butter side down on a platter and spread with honey mustard on the unbuttered sides. Layer evenly with the pear, ham, cheese and arugula. Top with the remaining two slices of bread butter side up.
- Heat a 12-inch saute pan over low heat. Place the sandwiches in the hot saute pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until brown, pressing down occasionally with a spatula. Remove the sandwiches from the saute pan and cool slightly. Cut each into the desired number of pieces. I recommend cutting each sandwich into nine equal portions. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chef Michael Saxer’s Cooking with a Private Chef, New Orleans to Newport(New Orleans, Louisiana, 2008).