Grilled Cheese Breakfast Panini
- Yield 4 servings
Bring a dose of dinner to the breakfast table with this tasty option.
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 16-ounce loaf whole-wheat or multigrain Italian bread, cut into 8 slices
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat skillet with cooking spray, cook the eggs, about 1 to 2 minutes, lifting cooked portion up with a spatula to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath. Remove eggs from skillet and set aside on separate plate.
- Lightly coat both sides of each bread slice with cooking spray. Top four bread slices with equal amounts cheese, tomato, basil, pepperoni, and scrambled eggs. Top with remaining bread slices. Press down lightly to allow ingredients to hold together.
- Wipe skillet clean with a damp paper towel, lightly coat with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook sandwiches 3 minutes on each side, or until golden on the bottom, pressing down frequently with a flat spatula to flatten slightly and give the appearance of a panini.