Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich
- Yield 2 servings
We’ve updated this classic sandwich with sharp Cheddar and Gruyere cheese and thin slices of tart Granny Smith apples. Adventurous eaters can even add a smear of mustard for a zesty twist.
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 ounce sharp Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 thin slices Granny Smith apple
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Lay slices of bread on a counter or cutting board. Place half the cheese on one slice. Layer the apples on top. Add the remaining cheese and top with the other slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter. When melted, place sandwich in pan, and cook until golden on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the sandwich, cook until golden on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board. Let cool for 1 minute, cut in half or into sticks and serve immediately.