Grilled Bratwurst Sandwiches with Caraway Sauerkraut
- Yield: 4 servings
- -- Oil, for grates
- 1tablespoon butter, plus more for rolls (optional)
- 1small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1-- (14-ounce) can sauerkraut, well drained
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/2teaspoon caraway seeds
- -- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4-- precooked bratwurst sausages (3-ounces each)
- 4-- hard rolls, halved horizontally
- 1/4cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/2cup bread-and-butter pickles
- -- Potato chips, for serving
- Heat grill to medium-low; lightly oil grates.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add sauerkraut, sugar, caraway seeds and 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Simmer until sauerkraut is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
- Grill sausages, turning frequently, until golden brown and warmed through, 10 to 12 minutes. Grill rolls, cutside down, until warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread lightly with butter, if using, and mustard. Halve sausages lengthwise; fill each roll with 2 halves and pickles. Serve with sauerkraut and potato chips.