Grilled Brats with Onion Relish
- Yield 4 servings
Bratwursts get dressed up with this sweet onion relish. The onion relish can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve.
- 4 -- bratwurst, uncooked
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 -- (12-ounce) can beer
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup bread and butter pickles
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- In large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat and add onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add beer and brown sugar and cook over medium high heat until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Continue cooking until the onion turns a golden brown, stirring constantly. Stir in bacon, pickles and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a medium hot fire in grill. Grill bratwurst directly over heat, turning, until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes and to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Remove from grill and top with onion relish.