- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 40 mins
Grill artichokes as a tender appetizer or side this summer.
Add your own special touch to this recipe with your favorite grilling or BBQ rub and dipping sauce.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 quarts water
- 2 large artichokes
- 2 tablespoons grilling or barbecue dry rub
- 1/2 cup remoulade or dipping sauce
- Preheat grill to 400F.
- To prepare cooking liquid, combine lemon juice, flour, 1 tablespoon oil and water in a heavy-bottom saucepot. Mix well to dissolve flour.
- Meanwhile, prepare artichokes by first cutting 1″ off the top of the bulb and bottom of the stem. Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, peel the tough, fibrous skin away from the stem, revealing the tender, white flesh beneath. Use your fingers to pull off any tiny leaves at the base of the bulb. Now, use a pair of kitchen shears to snip the pointy tips from the remaining leaves. Finally, place artichoke stem-up on a cutting board and cut in half. Immediately submerge cut halves into the cooking liquid to prevent browning. Repeat with remaining artichoke.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Cook 25-30 minutes or until artichoke heart is knife tender, but not so much that halves won’t hold together. Gently remove cooked halves and drain well until they’re cool enough to handle.
- To remove the prickly center choke, gently slide a spoon between the heart and choke and scoop out. Discard chokes.
- Brush cut sides with remaining oil and season liberally with dry rub. Place on preheated grill and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Turn and grill 2 more minutes, or until leaves are lightly charred and artichokes are heated through. Remove from grill and serve with your favorite remoulade or dipping sauce.