Grilled Albacore Sandwich with Red Peppers
- Yield 4 servings
Topped with sauteed peppers and onions, this open-faced tuna steak sandwich is a great special occasion lunch or light summer dinner.
- 1 1/3 pounds skinless Pacific albacore, cut into 3/4 inch thick loin cuts
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Sauteed Red Peppers:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin half-rings
- 1 -- red pepper, roasted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 -- French rolls, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- To prepare the sandwiches, rinse albacore with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Make vinaigrette by combining oil, lemon juice, pepper, salt, oregano and cayenne; mix well. Divide in half. Marinate albacore in one-half of the vinaigrette for 30 minutes, turning once.
- While fish is marinating make Sautéed Red Peppers. In non-stick pan, sauté garlic and onion in oil until onion is translucent. Stir in red peppers and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Drain albacore reserving marinade. Place on greased grate, 4 to 5 inches from hot coals. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning once and basting frequently. Do not overcook. Albacore should be pink in center when removed from the heat. Toast rolls lightly on grill. Brush toasted sides with remaining vinaigrette. Make four open-faced sandwiches by topping with albacore, Sautéed Red Peppers and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Recipe by the Oregon Albacore Commission.