Grilled Achiote Chicken
- Yield 4 servings
Spicy achiote seasoning kicks this chicken up a notch–or three.
- Marinated Chicken:
- 1 (.7-ounce) packet achiote seasoning
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Achiote Citrus Sauce:
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- To prepare chicken, dissolve achiote seasoning in vinegar and oil. Add chicken, turn to coat well, and marinate in the refrigerator 1 hour.
- Prepare the grill. Remove chicken from marinade, reserving marinade. Grill chicken until done, about 7 minutes per side. Remove chicken to platter, and tent with aluminum to keep warm.
- To prepare sauce, pour reserved marinade into a saucepan; add garlic and juices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is the consistency of a thin cream sauce. (If sauce gets too thick, thin with a little water.) Add salt and pepper. Serve sauce over chicken. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Recipe by Jo Marshall.