- Yield 8-10 servings
"I remember a wonderful salad that my mother made. It was so unique because of the grenadine syrup, so I am sending it to you to try."
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 3/4 cups grenadine syrup
- 2 fresh grapefruit, peeled, white membrane removed, and sectioned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grenadine syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream, stiffly whipped
- For salad, soak gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water in a bowl. Then dissolve gelatin in pineapple juice, which has been heated to boiling. Cool.
- Add 1/2 cup lemon juice, orange juice, and 1 3/4 cups grenadine syrup. Pour in a 5 1/2-cup ring mold or individual bowls and chill in refrigerator.
- When partially set, add grapefruit. Return to refrigerator and chill until firm.
- For dressing, mix sugar, mustard, and salt. Mix with egg. Then add vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons syrup.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick. Cool. Fold in whipped cream.
- When ready to serve, unmold salad on a plate or tray and fill center of ring with dressing.
Jeanne Crabb, Apple Valley, Calif.