Green Tomato-Spinach Cheesecake
- Yield 8-12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 45 mins
Tart green tomatoes contrast with the creamy cheese in this somewhat quiche-like dish. Serve as an appetizer with crackers or as a light entrée with a salad.
If you'd prefer to use fresh spinach, you'll need about 10 cups. Steam and press out excess water in a sieve. Chop before incorporating into recipe.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 to 8 green tomatoes
- 1 box (10-ounce) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6 ounces plain chèvre (goat cheese), chilled
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a shallow, 9-inch straight-sided baking dish or springform pan with oil.
- Set aside 1 large or 2 small green tomatoes for garnish. Dice remaining tomatoes, keeping all juices. Combine diced tomatoes and spinach.
- Combine eggs, flour, cottage cheese and salt, beating well by hand. Combine with tomato mixture and stir well. Add Parmesan and stir again. Crumble goat cheese over mixture (you want distinct little nubbins of goat cheese). Stir a few times and turn into prepared dish. Sliced reserved green tomatoes thinly and press onto top of cheesecake.
- Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until firm and slightly crusty on top. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.