Green Tomato-Spinach Cheesecake
- Yield: 8-12 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
If you'd prefer to use fresh spinach, you'll need about 10 cups. Steam and press out excess water in a sieve. Chop before incorporating into recipe.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 to 8 green tomatoes
- 1box (10-ounce) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6ounces plain chèvre (goat cheese), chilled
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a shallow, 9-inch straight-sided baking dish or springform pan with oil.
- Set aside 1 large or 2 small green tomatoes for garnish. Dice remaining tomatoes, keeping all juices. Combine diced tomatoes and spinach.
- Combine eggs, flour, cottage cheese and salt, beating well by hand. Combine with tomato mixture and stir well. Add Parmesan and stir again. Crumble goat cheese over mixture (you want distinct little nubbins of goat cheese). Stir a few times and turn into prepared dish. Sliced reserved green tomatoes thinly and press onto top of cheesecake.
- Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until firm and slightly crusty on top. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.