Green Tomato Raisin Pie
- Yield 6-8 servings
- Prep 45 minutes
- Cook 1 hour
This recipe was my mother's, Laura Langevin. She made up this recipe using the tomatoes left from the garden that hadn't ripened in the fall. She would make it every fall as I was growing up. Now I do.
- 2 1/2 cups green tomatoes, cut into quarters and sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup California Raisins
- 2 pie crusts, unbaked
- Put tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Stir and let stand for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse. If too salty, rinse again.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix dry ingredients and raisins together in separate bowl. Add tomatoes to bowl and stir together.
- Put 1 pie crust in pie dish. Add tomato mixture. Cover with second pie crust. Poke with fork and seal or crimp edges.
- Bake 1 hour or until top crust edges are browned.
- Let cool and serve plain or with vanilla or strawberry ice cream or whipped cream.