Green Tomato Pickles
- Yield: 18 cups
- 20cups sliced green tomatoes (approximately 15 pounds)
- 2 1/2cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup canning or picle salt
- 3cups brown sugar
- 4cups vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1tablespoon mustard seed
- 1tablespoon allspice
- 1tablespoon celery seed
- 1tablespoon whole cloves
- Wash and slice tomatoes and onions.
- Put sliced tomatoes and onions in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Cover with a lid and let sit 4 to 6 hours. Drain.
- Heat brown sugar and vinegar in a large saucepan until clear.
- Put spices in a cheese cloth bag and add to hot sugar and vinegar mixture, along with tomatoes and onions.
- If necessary, add enough water to cover.
- Bring to boil, turn heat down and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are clean and tender. Remove spice bag.
- Fill sterilized pint jars and cover with liquid, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove any air bubbles and wipe the rims with a clean damp cloth. Screw on hot sterilized lids.
- Process pints in hot water bath method for 5 minutes (just long enough to seal).
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Service League’s West of the Rockies (Grand Junction, Colorado, 1994).