Green Tomato Casserole
- Yield 4 servings
'If you like green tomatoes, you will like this recipe. All my friends and family love it!'
- 4 thickly sliced French bread slices, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 11/2-quart casserole, deep-dish pie pan, or 4 ramekins.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse to a coarse texture. Combine sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl; mix well.
- Arrange one-third of the tomato slices in the bottom of pan. Sprinkle one-third of the sugar mixture, one-third of the bread crumbs, and 1/3 cup Cheddar over tomatoes. Repeat with a second layer. For third layer, add remaining tomatoes, sugar mixture and bread crumbs. Dot with butter. Cover with foil.
- Bake 1 hour. Uncover and sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup Cheddar on top. Bake 5 minutes longer, or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
—Sylvia L. Bazor, Covington, TN