Green Tomato Breakfast Cake
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
The recipe is based on a 40-year-old recipe for plum cake that first appeared in Marion Burros and Lois Levine's The Elegant but Easy Cookbook. This cake is just as good for dessert as it is for breakfast.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/3cup butter, softened
- 1cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2 green tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths
- 2teaspoons turbinado or granulated sugar
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan or baking dish with oil.
- Cream butter and sugar. When slightly fluffy, beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and sift into the creamed butter mixture; beat well. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Arrange green tomato pieces in concentric circles over batter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until cake is firm and golden and tests done.
For more on green tomatoes, click here
—Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon