Green Tea and Chive Rice Pilaf
- Yield 7 servings
A great base for grilled vegetables, tempeh or tofu, this aromatic rice is cooked in brewed green tea.
- 2 teaspoons canola or peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups brewed green tea
- 1 small bunch chives or 6 scallions, minced
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- Heat canola or peanut oil over medium heat in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add garlic and ginger root and saute 1 minute. Add rice and coat well with oil in pan. Add tea and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer slowly 35 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and allow to sit, covered, 5 minutes. Add chives, salt, pepper and sesame oil.