Green Eggs No Ham
- Yield 6 servings
Eggs are baked in a slice of bread then drizzled with a spinach pesto sauce.
This play on Toad in a Hole cradles the egg in a bread basket made with the help of a muffin tin.
- -- Non-stick cooking spray for the pan
- 2 -- egg whites
- 6 -- large eggs
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices day-old firm bread
- Pesto Sauce:
- 8 cups chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 3 -- garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- -- Salt
- -- Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray a large cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. In a pie pan or other shallow pan, mix the egg whites, milk, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture for about 10 seconds on each side. Place soaked bread slices in muffin tins, forming a basket with corners of bread sticking up out of muffin tin slightly.
- Crack one egg into all 6 muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes for eggs that will have slightly soft yolks, or bake longer as desired to make egg yolks firm.
- To make the pesto sauce: Place spinach in a glass bowl or ceramic dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 90 seconds, or until completely wilted.
- Place wilted spinach, basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon zest, juice, parmesan and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Season with salt and a few dashes of Tobasco sauce, or to taste. Blend until smooth or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- To complete the green eggs no ham: Serve egg baskets on a plate, drizzled with pesto sauce.
Recipe by Donna of Fab Frugal Food.