Green Chili Sourdough Strata
- Yield: servings
- 1 (8-inch) round loaf crusty sourdough bread, 1 1/14 pounds
- 1/4cup Real California butter, melted and divided
- 3cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1cup chopped pasilla or 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1cup nonfat chicken broth, divided
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4cup (3 ounces) shredded Real California Gouda or White Cheddar cheese
- 3/4cup (3 ounces) shredded Real California Dry Jack cheese
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2cups nonfat or 1 percent Real California milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare the bread loaf: using a large serrated knife or bread knife, slice off the top of the loaf, leaving a base 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches high. Using a small serrated knife or grapefruit knife, cut a circle around the perimeter of the loaf between the soft bread and the crust. Hollow out the inside of the bread loaf with your fingers, leaving only the firm bread shell. Cut enough of the soft bread into 1/2-inch cubes to equal 1 cup. Reserve remaining soft bread and loaf top for other uses.
- Brush 2 tablespoons of the melted butter over the inside of the hollowed out bread loaf. Place bread loaf shell and bread cubes on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter in a large nonstick skillet with the onions, chilies, 1/2 cup of the broth, cumin and thyme. Cover and place over high heat, stirring occasionally and replacing lid each time until liquid cooks away, about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir mixture until onions begin to lightly brown, about 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup broth and the parsley. Stir frequently until the liquid evaporates again. Remove from heat and set aside. In a small bowl, mix the cheeses together. Place half of the cheese mixture into the bread shell. Top with the bread cubes, onion-chili mixture and the remaining cheese mixture. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, salt and pepper; add milk and whisk until smooth. Add egg and egg white; whisk again until smooth. Pour liquid over bread shell and set aside.
- Brush a 12-inch foil square with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Center shell on foil and set into an 8 or 9-inch cake pan or springform pan. Press foil lightly against side of crust and fold over rim of bread.
- Bake until cheeses are lightly browned and the filling is firm in the center, about 30 minutes. With foil, carefully lift the strata from the pan and slide onto a cutting board or platter. Cut into wedges and serve.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board