Chicken Posole with Green Chilies
- Yield servings
- 2 tablespoons Corn or Canola Oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 -- yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock or prepared broth
- 1 -- 14 1/2 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
- 1 -- 30 ounce can white hominy, raised and drained
- 6 -- green chilies, roasted, skinned, deveined and chopped
- -- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- -- Garnish: lime wedges, avocado slices and green onions.
In a soup pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, add the chicken and brown on all sides until opaque, but not browned. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
To the pot add the onion and saute until softened and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook while stirring to blend the spices for 1 minute longer.
Add the stock, tomatoes, hominy, green chili and chicken with any juices, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over med-high heat then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the soup is fragrant, about 20 minutes.
Serve with avocado slices, sliced green onion and lime wedges for garnish, along with tortillas.