Green Chile Pepper Jack Cheeseburgers
- Yield: 4 servings
- Poblano Sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1/4cup water
- 2tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2teaspoon cumin
- 1/2teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2pounds ground sirloin
- 1cup (4-ounces) shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Vegetable oil
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into strips.
- For the sauce, blacken the garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat. Process the garlic, poblano chiles, water, cilantro, lime juice, cumin and oregano in a blender until pureed.
- For the cheeseburgers, preheat the grill on medium. Divide the ground sirloin into 4 equal portions. Place 1/4 cup of the cheese in the center of each portion and shape the ground sirloin around the cheese to form a patty. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the patties until a meat thermometer registers 160F, turning once. Brush the cut sides of the buns with oil and grill for 1 minute or until light brown. Serve the cheeseburgers on the buns topped with the poblano chile strips and the sauce. Stuff the burgers with the poblano chile strips if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix’s Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005).