Green Chile Nacho Cheese Dip
- Yield 8 servings
Fresh poblano peppers make a world of difference in this cheesy dip.
If poblanos are not available, canned chopped green chiles are a substitute.
- 3 poblano chiles
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded low-fat monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup prepared tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup beer or white wine
- Place green chiles in a baking dish and place under a preheated broiler 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. When well charred, peel skin off and remove core and seeds. Chop chiles. If you have a grill, grill chiles over hot coals or a preheated gas grill and then peel, core, seed and chop.
- Place chopped chiles, onions, cheeses, salsa, paprika and beer in a nonreactive medium saucepan over low heat and, stirring often, cook until cheese is melted. Stir to combine well.