Green Beans Romescu
- Yield 8 servings
This dish is adapted from a classic Spanish sauce. Smoked Paprika lends a unique flavor (find it in the spice aisle), but you can substitute regular paprika if you want.
Chipotle chiles, canned in a spicy sauce called adobo, are available at Latin-American markets, specialty foods stores and some supermarkets. Leftover canned chiles can be transferred to a glass jar and stored in the refrigerator.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 medium red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1/4 cup almonds slivers, toasted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add green beans and cook 2 minutes. Drain beans and plunge in ice water to stop cooking process. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic, chipotle and paprika to shallots and stir well. Add beans and saute until nearly tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, stir well and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Add almonds and lemon rind and mix well. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Cheryl Forberg