Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallots
- Yield servings
Save almost half the calories per serving—without sacrificing flavor—with this simple, fresh version of the traditional Thanksgiving side dish from Food Network star Ellie Krieger’s latest cookbook, Comfort Food Fix.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 medium shallots, sliced into rings
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh string beans
- 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking.
- Add 1/4 cup shallots and cook, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining shallots, cooking 1/4 cup at a time. Reserve oil in skillet.
- Place green beans in a steamer basket fitted over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until bright green and still crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of reserved shallot oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to brown and liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk together milk and flour in a small bowl until flour is dissolved. Add milk-flour mixture to the skillet and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium low, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and stir in green beans, mushroom mixture, 1/3 cup cheese, parsley, nutmeg, salt and black pepper.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon green bean mixture into prepared dish and top with crispy shallots and remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake until golden on top and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serves 8.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from Comfort Food Fix by Ellie Krieger (Wiley Hardcover, $29.99.)