Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallots
- Yield: servings
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 6medium shallots, sliced into rings
- 1 1/2pounds fresh string beans
- 1pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 6cloves garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3cups 1% milk
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3cup freshly grated parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking.
- Add 1/4 cup shallots and cook, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining shallots, cooking 1/4 cup at a time. Reserve oil in skillet.
- Place green beans in a steamer basket fitted over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until bright green and still crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of reserved shallot oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to brown and liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk together milk and flour in a small bowl until flour is dissolved. Add milk-flour mixture to the skillet and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium low, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and stir in green beans, mushroom mixture, 1/3 cup cheese, parsley, nutmeg, salt and black pepper.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon green bean mixture into prepared dish and top with crispy shallots and remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake until golden on top and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serves 8.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from Comfort Food Fix by Ellie Krieger (Wiley Hardcover, $29.99.)
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 150
- Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 18g
- Sodium 300mg
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 9g