Green Bean and Red Onion Salad with Chevre
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1pound fresh green beans
- 1/2cup light olive oil
- 3tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2tablespoons sugar
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 4ounces chevre, cut into thin wedges
- Toasted walnuts (optional)
- Cook the green beans with enough water to cover in a saucepan for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender-crisp; drain. Plunge the green beans into cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Combine the olive oil, raspberry vinegar, dill, salt, pepper and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Add the green beans and onion; stir to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 8 hours. Add the apples and chevre and toss to coat.
Note: You may drain the dressing from the green beans and onion, arrange them on serving plates and top with the apples and chevre. Drizzle with dressing. You may also sprinkle the salad with toasted walnuts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Forward Arts Foundation’s The Swan’s Palette (Atlanta, Georgia, 2000).