Cold Green Asparagus Soup
- Yield 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup very finely chopped onion
- 1 pound green asparagus stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
- -- salt
1. In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until liquid is released, about 5 minutes.
2. Add water, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes.
3. In batches as necessary, transfer to blender (or use immersion blender in the pot) and purée until smooth, adding cream. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 6 hours.
4. Adjust seasoning. Ladle into chilled bowls.
Tip: Use only the tender green parts of the asparagus stems. Save the tips for another recipe.
Variation: You can garnish the soup with asparagus tips cooked in boiling salted water.