Green and Gold Chowder
- Yield 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 large leeks, sliced 1/4-inch thick, washed well in colander
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 3 large all-purpose or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, diced 1/2-inch
- 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk, cream or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Heat butter or oil in a large sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- Add all vegetables and sauté 5 to 6 minutes until they start to cook down.
- Add stock and milk, bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook 25 minutes until vegetable are tender. Add thyme, parsley and season to taste.
—Recipe by Chef Steve Petusevsky