Greek Walnut Cake
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4cup sugar
- 3-- eggs
- 2tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4cup milk
- 1 1/2cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1cup Honey Syrup (see recipe)
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg into a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon peel.
- Add the milk, alternating with the dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the walnuts
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8×8-inch cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Pour cooled Honey Syrup over the cake, letting the syrup soak in before adding more. Cut the cake when cool.
NOTE: You can pour hot syrup over the cooled cake if preferred.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Las Vegas' Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet (Junior League of Las Vegas, 2001)