Greek Turkey Burgers
- Yield 4 servings
These turkey burgers star black olives, caramelized onions, cucumbers and feta cheese, all folded in warm pita bread rather than traditional hamburger buns.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons pimiento-stuffed olives, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 -- pieces fresh pita bread
- 1 small cucumber, finely chopped
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until onion is very tender and golden, stirring frequently, about 10 to 15 minutes longer or until onions are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
- Mix ground turkey, olives, parsley, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramelized onions, salt and pepper together. Form into 4-ounce patties.
- Grill over direct heat, about 4 to 5 inches from the heat source, for about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Grill to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream and Feta cheese in food processor and pulse lightly to combine.
- Place cooked hot burger in folded pita and top with Feta cheese mixture and cucumbers.
Recipe by Chef Craig Scheuerman.