Greek-Style Shrimp and Orzo Soup with Feta
- Yield: servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet red or green pepper, chopped
- 2cups low-sodium fish, shellfish, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 2cups water
- 19 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2cup orzo
- 1pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red or green pepper and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add stock, water, tomatoes with juice, and oregano and bring to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Stir in shrimp and lemon juice and simmer for 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with crumbled feta cheese and parsley.
Tip: Cooking shrimp takes mere minutes. Overcooking will cause them to become tough.
From For The Love of Soup by Jeanelle Mitchell/Whitecap Books.