Greek-Style Sausage Roll
- Yield servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 40 mins
- 1 pound pork sausage, bulk
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 -- 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo dough, (17 x 13-inch), thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
In a large skillet cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat till sausage is done and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Stir in spinach, feta cheese, parsley, white pepper and egg. Set aside.
Unfold the phyllo dough. Spread 1 sheet flat; top with another sheet of phyllo. Gently brush with some of the melted butter. Top with the remaining sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. Reserve 1 tablespoon butter for top of pastry.
Spread sausage-spinach mixture lengthwise over bottom third of layered phyllo dough to within 2 inches of ends. Fold ends over. Carefully roll up the phyllo. Place the roll, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet; brush with the 1 tablespoon butter.
Bake in a 350F oven for 30-35 minutes or till golden.